Health at Every Size® or HAES® is based on the simple premise that the best way to improve your health is to honor and care for the body you have. It offers a way to find peace – with food, with your body, and in the world. It is an approach proven to improve health and self-esteem – by helping you make choices in the direction of self-care, rather than choices aimed at changing the number on the scale.
Tenets of Health at Every Size:
- Health Enhancement – attention to emotional, physical and spiritual well-being, without focus on achieving a specific “ideal weight”
- Size and self-acceptance – respect and appreciation for the wonderful diversity of body shapes and sizes (including one’s own!), rather than the pursuit of an idealized weight or shape
- The pleasure of eating well – eating based on internal cues of hunger, satiety, and appetite, and individual nutritional needs rather than on external food plans or diets
- The joy of movement – encouraging all physical activities or the associated pleasure and health benefits, rather than following a specific routine of regimented exercise for the primary purpose of weight loss
- An end to weight bias – recognition that body shape, size and/or weight are not evidence of any particular way of eating, level of physical activity, personality, psychological issue or moral character; confirmation that there is beauty and worth in EVERY body
Here in this body are the sacred rivers.
Here are the sun and moon, as well as all the pilgrimage places.
I have not encountered another temple as blissful as my own body.
~ Sahara, ancient Tibetan poet